Demography Alumni and Friends
The following alumni are grouped in cohort order, starting slightly before cohort 1 in 1979. Please send us updates as your information changes and let us know if we have made a mistake in your name or cohort (some of this information comes from ancient records!). Trainees and visitors are being added in based on their first year with the Demography department. Note that all webpage links open in new windows.
Please update your directory information as needed; we will change this page as time allows.
A special note to alumni: please consider making a donation to the Demography Department!
Cohort 36, entering year: 2015
Cohort 35, entering year: 2014
- Boroka Bo (Sociology and Demography PhD, in progress).
- Gabriel Borges (Demography PhD, in progress).
- Hayley Pierce (Demography PhD, in progress).
- Leslie Root (Demography PhD, in progress).
Cohort 34, entering year: 2013
Cohort 33, entering year: 2012
- Apurba (Apu) Chakraborty (Demography MA, 2013)
- Pamela Jimenez-Fontana (Demography MA, 2013). Researcher at Centro Centroamericano de Poblacion, Costa Rica.
- Po-Chun Huang (Demography MA, 2013). Graduate student in Sociology, UC Davis.
Cohort 32, entering year: 2011
- Jordan Beck (Econ MA, 2006; Demography MA, 2011)/ Researcher, Associate Global Insights Manager, The Clorox Company.
- Margarita (Rita) Chudnovskaya (Demography MA, 2012), PhD student, SUDA (Demography Unit, Dept of Sociology, Stockholm University).
- Po-chun Huang (Demography MA, 2013)
- Elizabeth (Eli) Mokyr-Horner (Public Policy PhD, 2012; NIA trainee, 2011-12). Spring, 2013: Postdoctorate, Stanford Medical School.
- Jeanette (Jan) VanDenBerg (Demography MA, 2012). Owner, VanDenBerg Investments.
Cohort 31, entering year: 2009
- Sooyoung Kim (Demography M.A., 2011)
- Sarah Lopus (Demography M.A., 2011)
- Christine Ranshous (Demography MA, 2010)
- Maia Sieverding (Sociology and Demography PhD, 2012). Evaluation Project Officer, Institute of Global Health, UCSF.
- Maria (Carol) Tomás (Sociology and Demography PhD, 2012) Consultant, Herkenhoff and Prates; Substitute Professor, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
Cohort 30, entering year: 2008
- Noli Brazil (Demography PhD, 2013) Postdoctoral Associate, Center for Research on Inequalities and the Life Course, Yale.
- Emily Buzzell (Demography M.A., 2009, Public Health M.A., 2010) Pathways to Housing, Washington DC
- Choongil Fleischman (Demography M.A., 2009) Project Manager, Location Labs, Emeryville, CA
- Daniel Levitis (Integrative Biology PhD., NIA Trainee, 2008-09) Research Scientist, Laboratory of Evolutionary Biodemography, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research. Currently Assistant Professor, Biodemography, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark. (also Max Planck Odense Center on the Biodemography of Aging; Institute of Biology.)
- Alma Vega (Demography PhD, 2013), Postdoctorate, RAND Institute.
Cohort 29, entering year: 2007
- Kehinde (Kenny) F. Ajayi (Economics Ph.D. 2011, NICHD Trainee, 2007-08) Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, Boston University.
- Shari Eli (Economics Ph.D. 2011, NICHD Trainee, 2007-08, NIA Trainee 2008-09) Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, University of Toronto.
- Margaret (Maggie) Frye (Sociology and Demography PhD, 2013) Postdoctoral Fellowship, Sociology Department, Harvard; Global Scholar Socessful Societies Program, Canadian Institute for Advanced Research. Fall 2015 will be Assistant Professor, Sociology Department, Princeton. Personal website.
- Jenny X. Liu (Public Health PhD, NIA Trainee, 2007-09). Economist, UCSF, Adjunct Staff Scientist, Rand Corporation.
- Gregory Martin (Demography M.A., 2008)
Personal website. Census Bureau, International Programs Center's Technical Assistance and Capacity Building Branch. I currently work at the U.S. Census Bureau for the International Programs Center. My work includes development of the CSPro (Census and Survey Processing System) software package, as well as providing technical assistance concerning data processing in developing countries.
- Sepideh Modrek (Health Services and Policy Analysis Ph.D., 2009, NIA Trainee, 2007-09) Postdoctoral Research Fellow, School of Medicine, Stanford. Currently Malaria Elimination Initiative Economist, Global Health Sciences, University of California, San Francisco
- Ellen Smith (Demography M.A., 2008)
I work for Futures Group in Washington DC as a Demographer/Health Policy Analyst. I work on health policy, especially related to population/reproductive health and some on HIV/AIDS, in developing countries, and analyses of costs of these health policies. I work with (mostly population-based) models that analyze the potential impacts and costs of policies in these areas. A lot of my work is applied, but I also work on some research studies. I also worked for a few months at the World Bank on issues related to the shortage of health care workers in Africa.
Cohort 28, entering year: 2006
- Emerald Adams (Demography M.A., 2007) Project Coordinator, Hawaii Health Connector
- Catherine Barry (Sociology and Demography PhD, 2013), Behavioral Health Interdisciplinary Program Evaluator, Contractor at Veterans Health Administration.
- Emily Conover (Economics Ph.D., 2008; NICHD Trainee, 2006-07)
Assistant Professor, Hamilton College, Department of Economics
- Sarah Cowan (Sociology and Demography PhD, 2013), Robert Woods Johnson Foundation Health and Society Scholar, Columbia University.
- Christel Kesler (Sociology M.A.,, 2001, Sociology Ph.D., 2007; NIA Trainee, 2006-07)
Currently Postdoctoral Prize Research Fellow, Nuffield College, University of Oxford. As of fall 2010, Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology, Barnard College.
- Melissa Knox (Economics Ph.D., 2008; NICHD Trainee, 2006-07)
Research Associate, Daniel J. Evans School of Public Affairs, University of Washington.
- Victor Lotti (Demography M.A., 2007)
Sr. Healthcare Economic Analyst, United Health Group. Directly after graduation I worked for Williams-Sonoma Inc. as a statistical modeling associate in their direct marketing department in San Francisco. Currently I am working for United Health Group as a Senior Healthcare Economic Analyst in Orange County, CA. My focus is on the ongoing Health Care reform. (January 2011)
- Melissa Sills (now Mia Bird) (Public Policy M.A., 2004, Demography M.A., 2007, Public Policy Ph.D. 2011) Current: Policy Fellow, Public Policy Institute of California; Lecturer, Public Policy, Mills College, Oakland
- Romesh Silva (Demography Ph.D. 2013, NICHD Trainee 2011). Research Scientist, Institute for International Programs, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University. Currently: Demographer/Statistician, Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia, United Nations.
Cohort 27, entering year: 2005
- Yun-Hsiang Hsu (Demography M.A., 2006, Public Policy Ph.D., Ohio State University, 2013. Postdoctoral Researcher, Academia Sinica.
- Eddie Hunsinger (Demography M.A., 2006)
After graduation, I was a demographer for the Alaska Department of Labor for three years, and I'm now a demographer for the Colorado Department of Local Affairs. I have a webpage that I keep updated at:
- Nobuko Mizoguchi (Demography Ph.D., 2010). Research Associate, Institute of Behavioral Science, University of Colorado.
- Eric Schiff (Demography M.A., 2006)
Having left my full-time position as a brewmaster, I am now at the Public Policy Institute of California (www.ppic.org) in the Social Policy and Population groups working on immigration and health policy projects. (March 2009)
- Emilio Zagheni (Demography PhD, 2010) Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology, Queens College, CUNY. Personal Website
- Sarah Zureick (Demography PhD, 2010), Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Global Health, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University.
Cohort 26, entering year: 2004
- Tim Bruckner (Public Health M.A., 2003, Epidemiology Ph.D., 2007; NICHD Trainee, 2004-05, NIA Trainee, 2005-06)
Assistant Professor, PUblic Health and Urban Planning, UC Irvine
- Billy Li (1/2 year coursework only)
- Kate Jordan (Demography M.A., 2005) Principal Analyst, BART (Bay Area Regional Transit).
- Rachel Polimeni (Economics M.A., 2007, Economics Advanced to PhD Candidacy; NICHD Trainee, 2004-07).
- Christine Ranshous (Demography M.A., 2010)
- Kevin Stange (Economics Ph.D., 2008; NICHD Trainee, 2004-07)
Currently post-doc, Robert Wood Johnson Scholars in Health Policy, SPH, University of Michigan. As of January 2010, Assistant Professor of Public Policy, Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy, University of Michigan.
- Christopher Sullivan (Sociology and Demography PhD, 2013). Statistical Consultant, UC Berkeley.
Cohort 25, entering year: 2003
- Pablo Comelatto (Demography M.A., 2004, Demography Ph.D., 2008)
Professor, University of Buenos Aires, School of Economics; Adjunct Research Staff, Centro de Estudios de Poblacion, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Shannon Gleeson (Demography M.A., 2006, Sociology and Demography Ph.D., 2008)
Associate Professor, Latin American and Latino Studies, UCSC; Faculty, UC Global Health Institute Center of Expertise on Migration and Health
- Sarah Megan Heller (Demography M.A., 2004). Currently in Anthropology Ph.D program, UCLA.
- Hideaki Nakamura (Demography M.A., 2004)
Deputy Director, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, Tokyo, Japan.
- Brian Rostron (Demgraphy M.A., 2004, Demography Ph.D., 2008)
Mathematical Statistician, Food and Drug Administration.
- Aliya Saperstein (Demography M.A., 2005, Sociology and Demography Ph.D., 2008)
Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology, Stanford University.
Cohort 24, entering year: 2002
- Gustavo Bobonis (Economics Ph.D., 2006; NICHD Trainee, 2002-2004)
Associate Professor, Department of Economics, University of Toronto
- Michelle Deasy (Demography M.A., 2003). Managing Director, Atlas Capital Advisors LLC.
- Nancy Giunta (Social Welfare M.A.2002, Social Welfare Ph.D., 2007; NIA Trainee 2002-03)
Assistant Professor, Silberman School of Social Work, CUNY; John A. Hartford Geriatric Social Work Faculty Scholar..
- Michael Lin (Health Services and Policy Analysis Ph.D., 2006; NIA Trainee, 2002-03)
Chief Scientific Officer, Providigm, LLC.
- Francisco (Paco) Martorell (Economics Ph.D., 2005; NICHD Trainee, 2002-2004)
Economist,Professor, Pardee RAND Graduate School.
- Sarah Staveteig (Sociology and Demography PhD, 2011)
Senior Research Associate, Futures Institute and MEASURE-DHS.
- Bryan Sykes (Demography M.A., 2003, Sociology and Demography Ph.D., 2007)
Assistant Professor, Sociology Department, DePaul University, and Research Affiliate, Center for Demography and Ecology, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Sarah Tom (Demography M.A., 2003, Demography Ph.D., 2007)
Assistant Professor, Pharmaceutical Health Services Research Department, University of Maryland School of Pharmacy.
- Wiraporn (Tontapas) Pothisiri (Demography M.A., 2003, PhD Demography and Population Studies, London School of Economics and Political Sciences, 2010)
Lecturer, College of Population Studies, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand.
Cohort 23, entering year: 2001
- Joyce Aivalotis (Demography M.A., 2004)
Project Manager, Alion Science and Technology.
- Douglas Almond (Economics Ph.D., 2002; NIA Trainee, 2001-02)
Associate Professor, Department of Economics, Columbia University
- Ayesha (Haroun) Zierhut (Demography M.A., 2002). Director, Legal Affairs, Prometheus Laboratories Inc., a Nestle Health Science Company.
- Jane Herr (Public Policy M.A., 2000, Economics Ph.D., 2008; NICHD Trainee, 2001-03, 2005-06). Visiting Scholar, National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge; Lecture/Advisor, Department of Economics, Harvard.
- Margarete Kulik (Demography M.A., 2002). Researcher, Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
- Trevon Logan (Demography M.A., 2003; Economics Ph.D., 2004)
Associate Professor, Economics Department, Ohio State University
- Emiko Masaki (Demography M.A., 2002, Health Services and Policy Analysis Ph.D., 2004).
Social Sector Economist, Asian Development Bank's Southeast Asia Department.
- Bernardo Queiroz (Demography M.A., 2002, Demography Ph.D., 2005). Associate Professor, Department of Demography, Cedeplar - UFMG.
- Stacy Sneeringer (Demgraphy M.A., 2003, Economics Ph.D., 2005). Economist, Agricultural Structure and Productivity Branch, Resource and Rural Economics Division, USDA.
- Rachel (Sullivan) Robinson (Demography M.A., 2002, Sociology and Demography Ph.D., 2007)
Associate Professor, School of International Service, American University
- Daniel Williams (Demography M.A., 2002)
Sociologist/Demographer, Division of Reproductive Health, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Danzhen You (Demography M.A., 2002, Demography Ph.D., 2007)
Statistics and Monitoring Specialist, Division of Policy and Practice, UNICEF
- Elizabeth Handwerker (Weber) (Economics Ph.D., 2007; NIA Trainee, 2001-2005). Research Economist, Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Cohort 22, entering year: 2000
- Peter Brownell (Demography M.A., 2002, Sociology Ph.D., 2009). Research Director, Center on Policy Initiatives, San Diego, CA.
- Omer Gersten (Demography M.A., 2001, Demography Ph.D., 2005). Research and Health and Safety Officer, Nu-Trek, San Diego, CA.
- Yumiko Kamiya (Demography M.A., 2001, Demography Ph.D., 2006)
Researcher, Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing, Insitute of Neuroscience, Trinity College, Dublin.
- Wenlan Qian (Demography M.A., 2001, Business Administration Ph.D., 2008)
Assistant Professor, Department of Finance, National University of Singapore, Business School.
- Peiyun She (Demography M.A., 2001, Demography Ph.D., 2004)
Was Research Associate, Cornell University Institute for Policy Research
Currently Mathematica Policy Research Institute
- Piedad Urdinola (Demography M.A. 2001, Demography Ph.D., 2004). Associate Professor, Department of Statistics, National University of Colombia.
Cohort 21, entering year: 1999
- Garrick Blalock (Business Administration M.A., 2000, Business Administration Ph.D., 2002; NICHD Trainee, 1999-2000)
Associate Professor, Department of Applied Economics and Management, Cornell University
- Kalena Cortes (Economics Ph.D., 2002; NICHD Trainee, 1999-2001)
Assistant Professor, Bush School of Government and Public Service, Texas A & M University.. Currently, 2013-14, Visiting Scholar, Center for Education Policy Analysis, Stanford University.
- Adam Davis (Public Health M.A., 1999, Demography M.A., 2001)
- Michael Dennis (Ecnomics Ph.D., 2005; NICHD Trainee, 1998-99, NIA Trainee, 1999-2001)
Faculty, Department of Economics and Business, College of the Redwoods, California.
- Ryan Edwards (Economics Ph.D., 2002; NIA Trainee, 1999-2002)
Associate Professor, Economics, Queens College, CUNY
- Tracy Gordon (Public Policy M.A., 1996, Economics M.A., 1999, Pubicl Policy Ph.D., 2001; NIA Trainee, 1999-2000). Fellow, Economic Studies Program, Brookings Institution.
- Sara Laufer (Batinovich) (Demography M.A., 2000). Freelance demography and research consultant, author.
- Heidi Sommer (Public Policy, advanced to Ph.D. candidacy; NICHD Trainee, 1999-2001). Development & Program Evaluation Consultant, 1in6.org. Non-profit consultant, Lead Investigator for the assessment of California Connected by 25; Junior Fellow, National Center for Policy Analysis.
- Pierre Vachon (Public Health M.A., 2001, Demography Ph.D., 2006)
Principal at Life Expectancy Consultiing, San Francisco.
Cohort 20, entering year: 1998
- Gretchen (Stockmayer) Donehower (Statistics M.A., 2003, Demography Ph.D., 2004)
Academic Specialist, Center for the Economics and Demography of Aging
- Aaron Gullickson (Demography M.A., 1999, Sociology and Demography Ph.D., 2004)
Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology, University of Oregon, Eugene
- Kerry Klein (Demography M.A., 1999). Director, Organization Development and Talent Management, VMWare.
- Jesse Moen (Demography M.A., 1999). Director, Continuous Improvement Practice, SGK, Consultancy Company.
- Adrienne Pine (Demography M.A., 1999, Anthropology Ph.D., 2004)
Assistant Professor, Department of Anthropology, American University
- Andrew Noymer (Sociology Ph.D., 2006; NICHD Trainee 1998-2002; NIA Trainee 2004-05)
Associate Professor, Sociology and Public Health, UC Irvine
- Biao Xing (Demography M.A., 1999, Biostatistics M.A., 2001, Biostatistics Ph.D., 2004). Associate Director of Biostatistics, Onyx Pharmaceuticals.
- Yan Yuan (Demography M.A., 1999, Public Health M.A., 2001). Statistician, Arsenic Health Effects Research Program, UC Berkeley.
Cohort 19, entering year: 1997
- Edit Corominas (Demography coursework, 1997-98)
- Christopher Crowther (Demography M.A., 1999)
Business Reporting Analyst, Clif Bar.
- Gabriel Demombynes(Economics Ph.D., 2003; NICHD Trainee, 1997-98, 2000-01), Senior Economist, Hanoi Office, World Bank. Previously Economic Policy Advisor to Howard Dean.
- Jie Huang (Statistics M.A., 2000, Demography Ph.D., 2002)
Statistical Demographer/Senior Consulting Data Analyst, Kaiser Permanente Northern California.
- Nicole Maestas (Public Policy M.A., 1997, Economics Ph.D., 2002; NIA Trainee, 1997-2001)
Senior Economist, Rand Corporation; Research Director, RAND Economics, Sociology and Statistics Department; Director, RAND Center for Disability Research, Professor, Pardee RAND Graduate School.
- Angela Merrill (Public Health M.A., 1997, Health Services and Policy Analysis Ph.D., 2000; NIA Trainee, 1997-99)
Senior Health Researcher, Mathematica Policy Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey Weinstein (Economics Ph.D., 2004; NICHD Trainee, 1997-98)
Data Scientist, PAVE.com,
Aso of 2007 co-founder/Senior Economist, EVP Risk Management, BridgeSpan Financial LLC, Arlington, VA. New York Times article on BridgeSpan
Cohort 18, entering year: 1996
- Christy Getz (Sociology M.A., 1998, Sociology Ph.D., 2003; NICHD Trainee, 1996-97)
Associate Cooperative Extension Specialist, Department of Agricultural and Natural Resources, UC Berkeley.
- Shuang Li (Demography M.A., 1997). Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University
- Kai Mander (Demography M.A., 1997). Principal Administrative Analyst, Alameda County Administrator's Office.
- Clementine Rossier (Sociology M.A., 1999, Demography Ph.D., 2002).
Assistant Professor, University of Geneva.
Cohort 17, entering year: 1995
- Harish Chand (Public Policy M.A., 1991, Economics Ph.D., 1998; NIA Trainee, 1995-97)
CEO, Digital KPI, Seattle, Washington.
- Sally Woodhouse (Demography M.A., 1997, Economics Ph.D., 2001; NICHD Trainee, 1995-97) Vice President, Cornerstone Research, Boston, MA.
Cohort 16, entering year: 1994
- Laura Hill (Demography M.A., 1996, Demography Ph.D., 1998)
Research Fellow, Public Policy Institute of California, San Francisco
- Erik Smith (Demography M.A., 1997, Demography Ph.D., 2001). Principal, Strategy Consulting at Monitor Deloitte.
- Lijing Yan (Public Health M.A., 1997, Demography Ph.D., 1999). Deputy Director, The George Institute for Global Health, Peking University Health Science Center; Director, China International Center for Chronic Disease Prevention.
Cohort 15, entering year: 1993
- Minki Chatterji (Demography Ph.D., 1999). Senior Associate, ABT Associates, Research Director, Strengthening Health Outcomes through the Private Sector (SHOPS).
- Cynthia Peete (Public Health M.A., 1996, Demography Ph.D., 1999)
Statistician/Workforce Planner, University of California Office of the President.
- Jiannbin "J" Lee Shiao (Sociology M.A., 1994, Demography M.A., 1996, Sociology Ph.D., 1998; NICHD Trainee 1993-94)
Associate Professor, Department of Sociology, University of Oregon, Eugene, and Deputy Editor, Sociological Perspectives.
- Toru Suzuki (Demography M.A., 1995, Demography Ph.D., 1999)
Director, Department of Population Structure Research, National Institute of Population and Social Security Research.
- Lee Wexler (Energy and Resource Economics M.S., 1995; NICHD Trainee 1993-95). Principal, Extremely Heavy Industries.
Cohort 14, entering year: 1992
- Susan Ayasse (Grand) (Demography M.A., 1993)
Archivist, UC Data, UC Berkeley
- Michael Clune (Demography M.A., 1995, Demography Ph.D., 1998)
Executive Director, Resource Administration and Budget, UC San Francisco.
- Chris Ertel (Anthropology M.A., 1991, Demography Ph.D., 1996). Director, Deloitte Consulting Innovation and Deloitte Client Experience.
- Diana Stiles Friou (Demography M.A., 1993, Anthropology coursework)
Founder and primary consultant of Coaction Healthcare, LLC, Florida
- Reinaldo Gregori (Demography M.A., 1994, Demography Ph.D., 1999). Founder and Managing Partner, Cognatis Analytical Geomarketing. Part-time Professor, Marketing and Business Administration at FIA and FGB-SP in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Hans-Peter Kohler (Demography M.A., 1994, Economics Ph.D., 1997)
Frederick J. Warren Professor of Demography, Department of Sociology; Research Associate, University of Pennsylvania.
- Jose Ortega (Demography M.A., 1994, Demography Ph.D., 1996). Chief, Fertility and Family Planning Section, Population Division, United Nations; Associate Professor at the Department of Economics and Economic History, University of Salamanca, Spain.
Cohort 13, entering year: 1991
- Michael Anderson (Statistics M.A., 1993, Demography Ph.D., 1997, JD Law, 2004). Associate Attorney at Arguedas, Cassman and Headley LLP.
- Jin Woo Bak (Demography M.A., 1992)
- Tracy Brunette (Public Health M.A., 1993, Demography Ph.D., 1996). Monitoring and Evaluation Director, RTI International.
- Anita Garey (Library Science M.A., 1980, Sociology Ph.D., 1993; NICHD Trainee, 1991-92)
Associate Professor, Department of Human Development and Family Studies, University of Connecticut.
- Joshua Goldstein (Demography Ph.D., 1996). Chair, UC Berkeley Demography Department, Director of the Berkeley Population Center.
- Caroline (Cali) James (Economics Ph.D., 1997; NIA Trainee, 1991-95)
- Thet-Shay Nyunt (coursework in Demography)
- Jesus Sanchez (Barricarte)(Demography M.A., 1995, Demography Ph.D., 1996). Professor, Universidad Carlos III, Madrid; researcher, Center for Population Studies, University of Michigan.
- Guy Stecklov (Demography M.A.,, 1994, Demography Ph.D., 1996)
Professor, Chair, Sociology, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel.
- Jon Stiles (Demography M.A., 1993, Sociology M.A., 1994, Sociology Ph.D., 2006)
Executive Director, California Census Research Data Center and Director of Archive Services, UC Data Archive., UC Berkeley.
- Lin Su (Demography coursework, Public Health M.A., 1994)
Director of Strategic Market Planning, Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, CA.
- Karen Swallen (Public Health M.A., 1994, Demography Ph.D., 1996). Physician, family medicine and preventative care, Wisconsin.
- Zhiyun (Darwin) Tu (Demography coursework, Business Administration M.A., 1993). Chairman and CEO, 51credit.com.
- Long Wang (Demography M.A., 1995)
I now live in Shenzhen, China, next to Hong Kong. Briefly, I am still running my own business; I go back to the Bay Area two or three times a year.
- Alice Whealey (History M.A., 1988, Demography M.A., 1992, History Ph.D., 1998)
Independent scholar, historian.
Cohort 12, entering year: 1990
- Philip Chu (Demography M.A., 1997, Anthropology M.A., 1997, Epidemiology advanced to Ph.D.) Transportation Programming Analyst for San Bernardino Associated Governments, SANBAG
- Carl Ipsen (History M.A., 1987, Demography M.A., 1991, History Ph.D., 1992; NICHD Trainee, 1990-91)
Professor, Department of History, Indiana University, Bloomington.
Cohort 11, entering year: 1989
- Beate Herrchen-Danielsen (Demography M.A., 1991, Demography Ph.D., 1993)
Director, Health Information Solutions
- Gilbert Ko (Demography M.A., 1990)
Cohort 10, entering year: 1988
- Debra Blackwell (Demography M.A., 1991, Sociology M.A., 1992, Demography Ph.D., 1994)
Statistician, National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, Maryland.
- John Gallup (Demography M.A., 1990, Economics Ph.D., 1994)
Assistant Professor, Economics, Portland State University.
- Kazuko Hashimoto (Demography M.A., 1996)
Here is a brief summary of my activities since I graduated: 1990 May: left UCB. 1991-1993: UNFPA Programme Officer. 1994-1999: JICA (Japan International Cooperation Agency) Population and Health Officer. 1999-2003: Ministry of Health, United Republic of Tanzania, Advisor. 2004 April: Waseda University Law School (Japan). (February 2004). Currently associated with Asia-Europe Foundation/ASEF Network for Public Health
- Yon-Woo Lee (Demography coursework)
- Hiromi Ono (Demography M.A., 1981). Researcher and Program Officer, US Department of Education, Institute of Education Services.
- Rafael Rofman (Demography Ph.D., 1993)
Senior Economist, World Bank
- Gay Willcox Seidman (Demography M.A., 1989, Sociology Ph.D., 1990)
Professor, Sociology, University of Wisconsin, Madison.
Cohort 9, entering year: 1987
- Deborah Balk (Demography Ph.D., 1992)
Professor, Baruch School of Public Affairs, Associate Directory of CUNY Institute for Demographic Research.
- Barney Cohen (Demography Ph.D., 1991). Chief of the Population Studies Branch of the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs.
- Christophe LeFranc (Demography Ph.D., 1992)
Senior Officer, INSEE (L'Institut national de la statistique et des études économiques); Technical Advisor on Population and Development, Census and Data, United Nations Population Fund.
- Jiang Lin (Demography Ph.D., 1992)
Senior Vice President and Director, Energy Foundation; Chairman, Energy Foundation China.
- Tim Miller (Demography M.A., 1991, Demography Ph.D., 1993). Populations Affairs Officer, Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean, Chile.
- Andrea Wiley (Demography M.A., 1990, Medical Anthropology Ph.D., 1992)
Professor, Anthropology Department, Director, Human Biology Lab, Indiana University.
Cohort 8, entering year: 1986
- Magali Barbieri (Demography Ph.D., 1990). Researcher, French National Institute for Demographic Studies (INED), Researcher, University of California Center on the Economics and Demography of Aging (CEDA), Associate Director, Human Mortality Database project, UC Berkeley.
- Eleanor Bell (Demography M.A., 1988, Sociology Ph.D., 1992; NICHD Trainee, 1986-88, 1990-91). Director of Business Intelligence, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Shue-Leung Chan(Library Science M.A., 1989, Demography M.A., 1990, Library Science Ph.D., 1993). Deputy Librarian, Hong Kong Institute of Education.
- Branislav Djurdjev (Demography M.A. 1987)
Professor, Chair, Social Geography, Department of Geography, Tourism and Hotel Management, University of Novi Sad, Serbia.
- Yongping Li (Statistics M.A., 1988, Demography Ph.D., 1991)
Professor of Demography, Institute of Population Research, Peking University, China
- Randy (Douglas) Milikien (Biostatistics M.A., 1988, Demography coursework). Independent Consulting Biostatistician, currently affiliated with Celera Corporation.
Cohort 7, entering year: 1985
- Tanya Mann (Demography M.A., 1987)
- Lakshmi Srivinas (Demography M.A., 1987). Assistant Professor of Sociology, College of Liberal Arts, University of Massachusetts, Boston.
Cohort 6, entering year: 1984
- Jorge Bravo (Demography Ph.D., 1988). Chief, Population and Development Section, United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs.
- Jasna Capo (Zmegac) (Anthropology M.A., 1984, Demography Ph.D., 1990)
Professor, Anthropology, University of Zagreb, Research Advisor, Institute of Ethnology and Folklore Research, Zagreb.
- Markos Ezra (Demography M.A., 1985)
Senior Research Scientist, New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services.
- Hans Johnson (Biostatistics M.A., 1989, Demography Ph.D., 1997). Co-Director of Research, Public Policy Institute of California (PPIC).
- Joseph Lau (Biostatistics M.A., 1987, Demography Ph.D., 1990)
Professor, School of Public Health and Primary Care, Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- Eiko Saito (Library Science M.A., 1987, coursework in Demography)
- Nicholas Townsend (Demography M.A., 1984, Anthropology Ph.D., 1992; NICHD Trainee 1984-85, 1989-91)
Professor Emeritus, Department of Anthropology, Brown University.
- Ping Tu (Biostatistics M.A., 1987, Demography Ph.D. 1989)
Professor, Department of Marketing, Guanghua School of Management, Peking University.
Cohort 5, entering year: 1983
- Carl Boe (Statistics M.A., 1989, Demography Ph.D., 1994)
Research Demographer, CEDA, HMD, U.C. Berkeley.
- Alfredo Cuellar-Montoya (Demography M.A., 1984)
Corporate Director, Proveedor Integral de Precios, Mexico City, Mexico.
- Futoshi Kinoshita (Demography M.A., 1984)
Professor, Department of Liberal Arts, Konan Women's College, Aichi, Japan
- Li Ying Li (Demography M.A., 1984)
Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Missouri State University
- Farzaneh Zayan Roudi (Demography M.A., 1987). Program Director, Middle East and North Africa (MENA), Population Reference Bureau
- Andrew Ruppenstein (Damography Ph.D. Advanced, 1995)
Staff Budget Analyst, California Dept. of Finance, Demographic Research Unit
- Zhen-Ming Xie (Demography M.A., 1984). Deputy Director, China Population and Development Research Center; Secrety General of the Seventh Council (2007-2012) of the China Population Association.
Cohort 4, entering year: 1982
- Robert Lipton (Public Health M.A., 1985). Associate Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Michigan Medical School; Lead of Statistics and Methods Sections. Additionally, he writes poetry and has published two books, A Complex Bravery and Bearing Witness to the Promised Land.
- Giv Nassiri (Demography M.A., 1990, Near Eastern Studies Ph.D., 2002)
Was Adjuct Faculty in History, Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley.
- Eduardo Rios Neto (Demography Ph.D., 1987)
Current position: Professor, Department of Demography, CEDEPLAR - Federal University of Minas Gerais, Brazil.
Cohort 3, entering year: 1981
- Yen Chen (Demography M.A., 1983)
- Katrina Galway (Demography M.A., 1983)
Persona Strategy Marketing Manager, Hewlett Packard..
- Shelley Lapkoff (Economics M.A., 1984, Demography Ph.D., 1988)
Principal Consulting Demographer and Founder, Lapkoff & Gobalet Demographic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey Thomas (Demography M.A., 1984). Contract Senior Technical Writer, Hewlett-Packard.
- Mary Waters (Sociology M.A., 1981, Demography M.A., 1983, Sociology Ph.D., 1986)
M.E. Zukerman Professor of Sociology, Harvard University
- Frank Zimmerman (Demography Ph.D., 1990)
Cohort 2, entering year: 1980
- Robert Chung (Economics M.A., 1986, Demography Ph.D., 1990). Visiting Associate Professor, Dept. of Demography, UC Berkeley; Adjunct Professor, Sciences Po, France; Independent Consultant in Health Services and Policy Research.
- Patrick Galloway
- Harry Hesselgesser (Demography M. A., 1990)
- Omar Khasru (Demography M.A., 1984)
Former Special Assistant to Vice Chancellor of North South University, Bangladesh; currently freelance writer and political journalist.
- Lily Lee (Biostatistics M.A., 1979, Demography Ph.D., 1985). Vice President, Asia-Pacific Division, Johnson and Johnson.
Cohort 1, entering year: 1979
- Bashir Ahmed (Demography Ph.D., 1984)
US Census Bureau
- Caren Ginsberg
(Demography Ph.D., 1984). Social Science Researcher, Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
- Lorraine Helms (Demography M.A., 1981). Manager, Nin-Institutional Provider Review, U. Mass Med School - Commonwealth Medicine.
- David Lam (Demography M.A.,1982, Economics Ph.D., 1983)
Professor, Department of Economics, University of Michigan. Research Professor, Population Studies Center, Institute for Social Research, University of Michagan.
- Muhammed Lecky (City Planning M.A., 1981, Demography Ph.D., 1990)
Exectuive Secretary, Health Reform Foundation of Nigeria (HEFRON), Nigeria
- Prasun Sen Gupta (Economics M.A., 1986, Demography Ph.D., 1986)
International Labour Organization, emeritus.
Cohort -4, entering year: c. 1975 (university records incomplete)
- Kenneth Chew (Sociology M.A., 1979, Demography M.A., 1982)
Senior Lecturer, Department of Planning, Policy and Design, U.C. Irvine.
- Linda Moulton (Demography Ph.D., 1983)
- Gregory Spencer (Demography Ph.D., 1987)
US Census Bureau, Department of Population Projections.
- Geoffrey McNicoll, (Demography Ph.D.)
Senior Associate, Population Council, New York.
- Robert Schoen, Professor, Department of Sociology, Penn State, emeritus.
Currently Attorney, Law Offices of Robert Schoen.
- John R. Weeks, (Demography Ph.D., 1972)
Distinguished Professor of Georgraphy and Director, International Population Center, San Diego State University.
- Roger Avery, (Ph.D., Demography),
Professor of Sociology, Researcher, Department of Sociology, Brown University.
- James G. Dobbins, (Ph.D., Demography). National Center for Infectious Diseases, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.