Department of Demography, UC Berkeley
2232 Piedmont Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94602 USA
Copying, Redistributing, etc.
Unpublished papers provided on this home page are prepublication drafts or working papers and should not be cited, reproduced, or redistributed without the express permission of the author(s). Published papers made available on this home page are the electronic equivalent of author's reprints and should not be reproduced or redistributed. Some publishers seem quite reluctant to allow the WEB posting of papers submitted, in press, or published in print versions (University of Chicago Press, for example). If I have permissions problems with such publishers I will endeavor to post a paper for some span of days if you request it by email, and then take it off the WEB again until the next request. Such papers will be flagged in the list. Or else you can just ask me to send you a copy.
Copyright should be strictly observed.
We urge on readers the view that the appropriate way to give other persons access to these materials is to provide them the URL of the home page.
A project in family reconstitution and demographic analysis in Croatia-Slavonia c. 1700-1900, conducted in cooperation with the Archive of Croatia and the Institute for Ethnology and Folklore, Zagreb.
Abstracts of papers given at meetings but not (yet) published
- Dick Easterlin in Slavonia: Patrilineal fertility decline on the Croatian frontier 1700-1900. With Josh Goldstein. PAA 1996.
- Observations on the History of Section 51 (Anthropology) at the National Academy of Sciences
- Kinship-based politics and the optimal size of kin groups. PNAS 102: 11951-11956. 2005.
- Chayanov revisited: a model for the economics of complex kin units. PNAS 102, 19:7043-7046. 2005.
- Demographic instability and kinship in anthropological populations. PNAS 102, 6:2248-2253. 2005.
- Kinship Structures and Survival: Maternal Mortality on the Croatian-Bosnian Border 1750-1898. Population Studies 58 (2):145-59. 2004. (with A. Gullickson)
- Maternal mortality as an indicator of levels and changes in the standard of living in 18th and 19th century Slavonia. In The quality of life in pre-industrial Europe, Robert C. Allen, Tommy Bengtsson and Martin Dribe, eds., pp. 277-306. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 2004. (with A. Gullickson) No electronic reprint available.
- The migration of Serbs and Albanians within and between Kosovo and Inner Serbia. In Les minorités -- minorities. Guy Brunet, Michel Oris and Alain Bideau (eds.), pp. 145-174. New York: Peter Lang. 2004. (with Mirjana Stevanović).
- Population dynamics and political stability. National Academies Press (http://books.nap.edu/books/0309085306/html/31.html#pagetop). 2002. (with Erik Smith)
- A fish stinks from the head: Ethnic diversity, segregation, and the collapse of Yugoslavia. Demographic Research 22:35:1097-1142. http://www.demographic-research.org/volumes/vol22/35/ (With Carl Mason and Mirjana Stevanović).
- Papers on the Political Situation in the Former Yugoslavia